Do you automate your blog feed to your facebook fan page?

September 21, 2011 · 7 comments

If so, I want to tell you about something that I have seen on facebook for a while now. I have mentioned it to a few people but I don’t think I was explaining it very well.

If you’re using tools to automate posting of your blog feed to facebook, it’s being lumped together with everyone else who does it. I doctored this screenshot up a little because I didn’t want it to seem like I’m calling anyone out. Most of what you see above showed up in my facebook news feed yesterday.

I’m not judging anyone that does this, I just want to inform you if you are, you may not be getting the amount of clickthroughs you expect because on the news feed, they are being lumped together with everyone who uses NetworkedBlogs or whatever tool you use. It’s not just blog posts, I have seen this with others who use automation tools to link twitter to their facebook profile/fan page.

I have seen this time and time again. The screenshot it says “47 more posts from Networked Blogs”. I never click on the link to expand and I’m betting most facebook users don’t.

You might want to think about removing the automation and posting the links to your new blog posts by hand. It might seem like a lot of work but it’s well worth it so your posts don’t get lost in someone’s news feed. That’s what I have been doing for a while now.

What I have found is using social media on automatic doesn’t work, it’s all about human interaction. If that makes any sense. Anyone disagree? Anyone agree?

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel September 21, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I’ve seen this show up and definitely don’t click the more button.

Cat Davis - Food Family Finds September 21, 2011 at 9:17 pm

That is something I’ve been trying to shut off for some time now and for the life of me, I can’t figure out how.

JulieD September 21, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Cat, have you tried going to your facebook page and clicking on the Edit link? Then go to the tab on the left that says apps, I’m wondering if there’s a Networked Blogs app that you can remove? If not, I’m not sure.

Stefani September 22, 2011 at 1:48 am

I have the automation on, but also manually add the links when I remember. On the posts that I do remember to manually post, I normally delete the post from networkblogs that appears later on.

angie October 24, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I’ve been trying to shut off for some time now and for the life of me,Ive already seen this before..Thanks a lot for sharing..

Melissa Say What? February 5, 2012 at 1:18 am

This is very true! I switched away from NB long ago and moved to ifttt.com, but ended up switching back to NB. The format of my blog is not one where I can dedicate the time to manually share to social networks. I do see quite a few clickthroughs from NB these days, though.

Richard October 12, 2012 at 11:54 am

Hi, Great Informative Article!

I totally agree that manually linking your latest blog post is very well worth. Third party app like NetworkedBlogs are essentially stealing page views from your blog. Notice how the URL shown is not your url but of NetworkedBlogs’. Using NetworkedBlogs also yields a much lower FB EdgeRank score. EdgeRank is the Facebook algorithm which determines which of your updates are shown in your fans’ news feed. In my opinion, manually linking your latest blog post may be the way to go!

Thank you.