WordPress Bloggers need to install Comment Reply Notification

June 15, 2011 · 24 comments

Have you ever commented on a blog or asked a question and forgot to return to see if the blogger has replied to you? Often a blogger will have a checkbox option for you to select but if it’s a popular blog and they receive a lot of comments, your inbox may start getting inundated. Thus, why I never check the box on WordPress blogs that ask me if I want to receive follow up comments via email.

Earlier, I tweeted the following tweet:

And when I receive that email notification, I almost always return to the scene of the crime (the original post), so the blogger will receive another click-through. And sometimes I will even reply to their reply.

After the above tweet, I received a bunch of replies and retweets and a DM asking for help. So I thought I would throw this post together really quick.

I’m assuming you know how to install a WordPress plugin, if not see the bottom of this post for a link on how to install one. Install the Comment Reply Notification plugin and browse over to it in the Settings left sidebar.

Make sure you have this option selected. Your readers will only receive an email if the writer of the post or an administrator (most likely you) replies.

To further configure the email the commenter will receive, you’ll want to change the Edit Notification Message box up. I add in my email address to let them know who to reply to. I have not dug deep into the plugin code to see where I can change the reply-to email and have not seen it as completely necessary.
Be sure to leave most of what’s set up in the Edit Notification Message field for you, you want the commenter to be able to click back to their original comment easily. I have noticed some bloggers even take out their comment, denoted by [cc_content] so that the reader has to click back to their blog to see the response. That’s fine but at least leave the link to the original post. (The markup legend is below the Edit Notification Message field, I didn’t include it in the screenshot.)

Testing this plugin? If you reply to your own comment, it won’t work & you won’t receive a notification via email. I have a subdomain set up for both of my blogs where I test my sites so I played around there. I had to create another account with a separate email address and login to it and reply to my own comment that way. The plugin seems smart enough to know that you just replied to yourself.

Best way to test this plugin? Reply to a commenter (maybe someone you know personally or someone you know on twitter) and ask them if they received the reply notification. You can even ask them to forward the email to you so you can see it.

Some links that you may also find helpful:

{ 22 comments… read them below or add one }

Anne - Mommy Has to Work June 15, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I just added it!! Glad to know people like it! (newbie to WP)

Nate @ House of Annie June 15, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I use the Comment Email Responder plugin which kinda does the same thing.

I’ve thought of using Comment Reply Notification in the past but decided against it. If you look at the recent comments on the homepage of CRN you’ll see that some people have issues with it, and the author doesn’t seem to be responding to their questions. When a plugin author abandons his work without warning or providing an alternative, I’d worry.

Lindsay June 16, 2011 at 7:56 am

Thanks for this post. I have Comment Reply Notification, but I have it set to “Commenter Chooses to do so (default checked).” I wanted to make sure that if someone besides myself replied to their comment, they would be notified. Hopefully that still works out well. If its something that I REALLY want the person to see, I email it to them directly from the comment email I receive.

April Decheine June 17, 2011 at 10:54 am

I just started a new wordpress blog and really need to get moving on it, glad to get to know certain add ons!

blueviolet June 21, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I can’t stand when the notification says the reply has been made on the blog but you have to go back to the blog to see it. 9 times out of 10 I won’t go. However, if I see the reply right in my email, sometimes I will go if I have more to say or I have time.

JulieD June 22, 2011 at 8:35 am

You make a good point, I have even gotten emails where they don’t even include a link to the original post.

Kelly June 21, 2011 at 8:45 pm

I’m in the process of getting WP prepped for my transfer over and was debating between this one and Reply Me – you just made my decision so much easier!

JulieD June 22, 2011 at 8:35 am

Kelly,

Good luck with the move to WP, you’ll love WordPress. Glad I could help! :)

Katherine Martinelli June 28, 2011 at 10:04 am

Thanks for this post! It was super helpful. Comment notification installed!

Cat Davis - Food Family Finds October 4, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Well I’m sure glad I found this because I thought it wasn’t working when I tested a comment to myself and didn’t get an email. LOL

Anja October 20, 2011 at 3:58 am

Great post, sharing this kind of information is really a big help. I can’t wait to download it, and I’m looking forward applying the method you shared with us. Thanks.

Deborah October 22, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Thanks for the how-to! Just installed it on my blog

Shella November 14, 2011 at 2:57 am

yay! another great info for a newbie like me. thank you so much!

Nathan Agin November 14, 2011 at 6:10 pm

great article!

when i installed this plugin, it seems to have turned the default “Discussions” notifications off – that is, I’m not getting notified when a comment is posted. (I used to get the WP “New Comment On…” emails.)

Is there any way to reactivate this?

thanks!

JulieD November 14, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Hi Nathan,

It shouldn’t have deactivated email notifications when you get a new comment. Check Discussion -> E-mail me whenever, the checkbox “Anyone posts a comment” should be checked. Give that a try.

Nathan Agin November 14, 2011 at 6:24 pm

thanks for responding so quickly julie!

yup, that setting has been turned “on” since before I installed the plugin. the plugin didn’t uncheck the box, but I’m wondering if it affected something else. guess i’ll have to deactivate and see what happens.

JulieD November 14, 2011 at 6:27 pm

That’s so odd, Nathan! I don’t have the same setting turned on as you, I have moderation turned and the checkbox “A comment is held for moderation” checked and it seems to work. How about unchecking it, saving it, checking it again and saving it? So odd, I’m sorry if this doesn’t work out for you!

katie July 16, 2012 at 7:02 am

Thanks for the tip! I’ve downloaded it and just need to give it a test ;)

Kris September 15, 2012 at 2:14 am

Hey Julie,
I can’t agree more with your Comment Reply Notification setting. I was doing it wrong. :(
I see you use commentluv now – should I switch immediately?
- Kris

Richard September 16, 2012 at 1:26 am

Hi Julie,

Stumble upon your while searching for comment reply notification for my blog. Great tips and picture illustration and nice blog! I’ve installed it on my blog and it works great.

Thank you and hope to see you around~!

{ 2 trackbacks }