Why Auto DMs on Twitter Don’t Work

February 26, 2011 · 41 comments

If you use Twitter, sometimes after following someone, you receive an Automatic Direct Message (DM) thanking you for following them.

They look something like this:

Okay, these don’t work…they suck.  I don’t click on the link and I’m very likely to unfollow you. So why do people send auto DMs?  Can someone please tell me why?

I see tweets like this more than just weekly:

Aghhh! My eyes!! Another Auto DM! Please stop the madness!!!
@TheNoviceChef
Jessica Segarra

I tweet all the time about how much I detest auto DMs.  So do you send auto DMs?  If you do, please STOP!

This is my reflection of a tweep when I get an auto DM:

• You don’t know how to use twitter.
  • You don’t know how to use twitter.
  • You don’t know how to use twitter.
  • You don’t get social media.

I once received an DM after I followed someone saying something nice about my food blog. This would have served better as a tweet. DMs are reserved for sharing email addresses or something that you do not want to appear on your public timeline.

Here are some tips instead of sending auto DMs:

• Send a tweet saying thanks for the follow.
  • Just interact with other tweeps, reply to tweets that sound interesting to you or just answer questions.

Now, can we please stop the Auto DMs? Do you have other tips for people who currently use auto DMs – what can they do instead?

{ 41 comments… read them below or add one }

Christi April 11, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I’m with you on that! They are so insincere that I never even pay attention to them.

Brandy April 17, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I just hope my old auto DM’s from when I first started twitter are NOT there, because after just a few short months YEARS ago when I started Twitter I realized this same exact thing ;-)

JulieD April 20, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Hey Brandy,

You can login to your twitter account and go to http://twitter.com/settings/connections. This is where you would get rid of any apps that may be auto dm-ing. :)

Brandy April 20, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Oh thanks. Not sure WHY I didn’t think of that and guess what? the app was in there that I had used way back when.. thanks tons I removed it!

Kenda July 22, 2011 at 6:32 pm

1. Agree x Infinity
2. I literally don’t open my inbox anymore on Twitter. If someone wants to actually get in touch with me they can use the link to my blog.
3. I just went to that link to double check stuff and there were apps that I have never seen before!…not cool.

Jen July 22, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Yes. Yes. YES! It’s a great way to get an unfollow from me!

Lisa Cruz December 14, 2011 at 5:45 am

Yes. It’s a great way to get an unfollow from me!

Previous post: