My 5 Favorite iPhone Apps

February 8, 2011 · 23 comments

I constantly see the tweet or facebook questions, ‘what are your favorite iPhone apps’? And since a bunch of my friends are getting the new Verizon iPhone, I thought I would put this post together.

In no particular order, these are my top five iPhone apps because these I use them A LOT. I have a bunch of apps but these are definitely my favorites.

EchofonFree or Pro $4.99 (currently on sale for $1.99)
I’m addicted to twitter and I use FOUR different Twitter apps on my phone. My hands down favorite is Echofon. They have a free version as well as a Pro version that regularly costs $4.99 (I have the Pro version because I manage more than just my personal twitter account). I plan on writing a post about all four Twitter apps some day…

I definitely like it because it’s one of the only apps that shows whether another tweep is following you or not.

Also, it has an easy interface to view tweets that go back in forth like a conversation. And the same goes for direct messages. And push notifications when you get an @ reply or direct message has finally started working the last few updates.

The Weather Channel – Free
Inputting a zip code or city/state gets you the current conditions, weather map & video as well as hourly conditions for the next 12 hours as well as a 10 day forecast. I like that you can bookmark different cities. I use this app every morning to figure out what to wear and figure out if I should bring a sweater or jacket with me.

Words with Friends – Free (with ads) or $2.99
Yeah, I’m addicted to Words. If you want to play, my username is snoopyclone. :) Love that you play your turn whenever you can and it tosses it over to the other player. When it’s your turn again, you’ll receive an alert. You can start games with random players or search via username. There is also a chat function so you can IM the person you’re playing with. Just some advice on that, the usernames are case sensitive. I started a game with someone I thought was my friend but I had the case wrong, it wasn’t her and they told me, I think you have the wrong person.

Hipstamatic – $1.99 (with in app purchases)
Love this photography app, you can add different film and change them up. The app gives you the feel of using an old fashioned 35mm camera and makes your photos look like they are vintage. It comes loaded with different types of film but you can buy different film packs within the app. You can view the images you take in the app and they are also saved in your Camera Roll. Like the pictures of my kitty, Clone?

Instagram – Free
And lastly, a social networking app where you share photos. You can find and follow your friends from facebook or twitter. I really like it because you can also share the images via flickr, tumblr, facebook and twitter. When you share the images through flickr and tumblr, it actually posts the image to these sites. When you share via facebook and twitter, it posts a link to the instagram image. I’m thelittlekitchen if you want to follow me. :)

My favorite instagram user that I’m following is dogandboy. He or she shares awesome images of their son and their dogs, which are Shiba Inus. I love them!

So, now it’s your turn. What are your favorite iPhone apps? I want to hear what you like…I’m always looking for new apps to download and play with it.

{ 23 comments… read them below or add one }

Maggie February 9, 2011 at 9:45 am

I love the Shazam app. If you’re somewhere and you hear a song and don’t know what it is, just use the app and it will tell you. Then it gives you the option of buying the song through iTunes. I’m pretty sure the app is free.

JulieD February 9, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I love Shazam too. It is free but if you want to do more than say 5 songs a month, you have to pay for the app.

blueviolet @ A Nut in a Nutshell February 9, 2011 at 10:27 am

I’m really interested in that instagram one!

JulieD February 9, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Let me know if you download it! We can follow each other!

nicole February 9, 2011 at 11:52 am

I love my iPhone! I’ve used a number of twitter aps too. Echophon is def a good one. My all time favorite ap (as of right now) is the Instagram ap (I’m actually writing up a post about it right now!) I’m going to see if I can find you.

nicole February 9, 2011 at 11:54 am

Doh! I was already following you!

I’m such a dork!!!

JulieD February 9, 2011 at 1:22 pm

No you’re not! I enjoy looking at your photos…love, love Instagram. :)

robyn February 9, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Hi! I recognize that first user up there. ;o) I shows my twitter count which infuriates me because when I got to over 10,000 tweets twitter erased my counts. grrr! oh well.

I’ve never even heard of echo phone. I’ll have to look into it.

My all time favorite app is Instapaper. I can save stuff when I’m browsing the web or on twitter and then I can read it at another time. Once read, I can keep it in my articles or delete it. That way if I see something that I’m interested in, but don’t have time to read it right then, it saves it for later.

Another app I like is Ratio from Michael Ruhlman. Mostly because my cookbooks are packed and I can build a recipe pretty quickly with it.

JulieD February 9, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Hey, Robyn!

I knew you would recognize yourself! That stinks about twitter erasing your tweet count. I’m going to look into your 2 apps, they sound really, really cool and the Instapaper one is something I really need. :)

Tricia Night Owl Mama February 9, 2011 at 9:26 pm

those certainly make me want a Iphone that’s for sure. I’d love the networking app to share photos

Suzi Rachel February 10, 2011 at 12:09 am

My favorite iPhone apps: (well iPod Touch right now)
Words with Friends (invited u to play a game)
Accuweather
Twitter for iPhone (use all the time)
foursquare
PocketMoney

Now I need to write my own blog post.

Kelly February 11, 2011 at 11:33 am

Words with Friends is SO addictive – I had to delete it because I spent WAY too much time trying to come up with the perfect word!

That Twitter app sounds great – gonna look into that!

Sarah February 12, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I have an Android, not an iPhone, and I’m jealous of some of those apps. I keep seeing the Instagram pictures popping up – so neat!

JulieD February 27, 2011 at 11:21 am

Sarah,

I just read that Words with Friends is available for Android. If you download it, my username is snoopyclone if you want to play together! :)

Katie February 18, 2011 at 9:15 am

I am an addict to Words With Friends! That and Angry Birds are my favorite!

JulieD February 18, 2011 at 10:15 am

Katie, I keep hearing about Angry Birds and am worried I’ll get addicted too! I have enough with Words. :)

Connie February 26, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Now if I only had an iPhone :) Great finds@

blueviolet March 5, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I don’t have the iphone, I have an android, but I’m still curious about your twitter apps. I have been comparing two of them on my android.

JulieD March 6, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Hey Elizabeth,

I just heard that Words with Friends is now available for Android. Add me if you play! :)

G Bailey March 7, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I only use my phone for calls and texts. I haven’t been able to see the point of iPhone–but I’m looking, willing to learn. :)

Deb March 16, 2011 at 8:47 am

Julie,
Thanks for sharing these great apps. I’m now following you on Instagram (deborah150) and also set up a words with friends game with you :)

I think I’m completely in love with my iPhone…..

JulieD March 22, 2011 at 8:11 am

Hi Deb,

It’s great playing with you! :)

Brandy March 23, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I wish I had waited and got the iPhone instead of Droid with Verizon for my upgrade but some day! Thanks for all the apps!

Previous post: