Recap of the Komen Tampa 3-Day for the Cure – Part 1

November 10, 2010 · 4 comments

This is going to be a huge recap so I have had to split it up into two parts. I made tons of notes the day after I got back from the Tampa area because I wanted to share with you so many things about the Susan G. Komen Tampa 3-Day for the Cure® but also share what worked for me and what didn’t.

Day 1

Every day, when you start out, crew members (who are volunteers) hand you a route card. I put mine behind my credentials and looked at it ALL of the time. Everyone says the frequent pit stops help and they do. It helps you focus on the current mileage you have to do to get to the next stop instead of thinking of the entire mileage you have to complete that day.

Thursday night, I stayed with Julie and Val in a condo in Treasure Island. We arrived to opening ceremonies very early and I had to split from them because I had to drop off medical equipment at the Medical tent and meet the Energizer® representative, Sandy, backstage. Backstage was pretty cool because I could see the flagbearers getting ready for the opening ceremonies. I got to meet Norm Bowling with Susan G. Komen for the Cure. He is so nice! He thanked me for blogging about the Komen 3-Day for the Cure!

I got emotional before the ceremony even started when I took pictures of the Grandmother and Friend flags, like I have mentioned before, this is who I walk for! The flags that are brought into the ceremony represent the different people who in our lives who have had or who are going through treatment for breast cancer. There are also flags that represent birthdays, anniversaries, the different occasions that we cherish that survivors are able to experience and the events that those we lost from breast cancer miss out on. That’s what they mean when Susan G. Komen for the Cure says “everyone deserves a lifetime.” When the ceremony started, I got even more emotional. I’m not sure there was a dry eye in the crowd. And guess what? I forgot to pack tissues in my day pack. Don’t make the same mistake I made!

I started out walking by myself. I met a few people who were walking by themselves and talked with them. Then, I met up with Heidi, whom I met on twitter. She is so awesome. She was a first time walker, walking with her sister. They both walk for their mother, who is a breast cancer survivor.

Then, I met up with the Caymanites and walked with them for the rest of the walk until the last couple of miles. I became their honorary 12th team member for the day. I have mentioned them before but what an awesome group of women. I’m so glad I got to walk with them for most of Day 1. The helped me to Keep Going®.

The last couple of miles were really hard, my thighs were cramping up so I had to stop frequently and stretch. I think this is a symptom of me not stretching enough throughout the day. I was determined to finish though and I did!

After we arrived at Pit 5, we took buses to camp and I met up with Paula! Another person I met on twitter while training. I also met up with her at the Expo in August so it was nice to see a familiar face. After arriving at camp, I ate dinner with Paula. A couple of times, she encouraged me to eat a little more. I was really tired and wasn’t into my dinner but I listened to her. Even if you don’t feel like eating, you need to eat. After walking over 20 miles, you need to eat! 🙂

The first day was great but also hard. I felt like I hobbled around camp. I went to get my gear and tent. A very friendly crew member looked at me and said, I think you need some help. He carried my gear bag for me and even set up my tent up for me. I wish I got his name because he doesn’t know how much I appreciated it!

I then went over to the Energizer tent and met some great people. I wish I had pictures of the tent! And pictures of me under the Keep Going Blogger banner. 🙁 I also drew the name for the Keep Going award winner. Friday and Saturday nights, there was a drawing for the Keep Going award winner. Participants nominated a walker who embodied the Keep Going spirit. Winners received a Keep Going t-shirt and a year’s supply of Energizer batteries!

Day 2

I think in some ways, was harder than Day 1 for me. I decided to wear my back up shoes. I don’t really have an answer for why I did but I did it. My feet felt very sore from the start. I thought I was even forming blisters but I didn’t get any. I was walking slow all day. I was going so slow and worried about completing that I took a SAG bus at Pit Stop 3 to lunch and a sweep van after the John’s Pass cheering station to Pit Stop 4 with about a loss of about 4 miles.

In the beginning of the day, I met Jen who lives in Kissimmee. I had a great time talking to her. In fact, she just emailed me the other day. I hope we stay in touch and I get to see her at future Race for the Cure and 3-Day for the Cure events. 🙂 I forgot to put on sunblock, Jen let me borrow hers but I didn’t put enough on my face so I have a raccoon face now. I checked in the mirror, I still have it. I didn’t want my day pack to weigh any more so I left the sunblock out…but then I forgot to put it on because I didn’t put it out with my Day 2 clothes the night before. If you don’t want to forget something in the morning, be sure to lay it out the night before or put it in the ziploc bag that has your clothes for the day.

Total loss of about 4 miles because of sweeping…kind of bummed but with how I felt, I can’t believe I did 15 miles! At about 1.5 miles to camp, one of the awesome mini cheering stations – I was talking to a spectator and he said you look…and trailed off and said well, you only have 1.5 miles left. I laughed about it later. I wonder what he was going to say! 🙂

Dinner was a lot better on Day 2. We had steak and potatoes! Candy Coburn sang Pink Warrior and other songs. She was amazing! Watch the video below! She did a sing along with walkers. Our very own #3DayTweep, Julie, is very famous now! 🙂

I got a wonderful massage from the wonderful volunteers of the American Massage Therapy Association. They were great! And I loved Sandy. She was so great and very supportive of me and the other Keep Going Bloggers.

Me with Sandy

So, there’s a rundown of Day 1 and 2. I have a whole lot more for Day 3 and the Closing Ceremonies so check back tomorrow. In the meantime, I have posted tons of photos on facebook. Hope you’ll stop by there and leave me a comment if you do. 🙂

Disclosure: My participation in the 2010 Susan G. Komen Tampa 3-Day for the Cure was sponsored by Energizer.

Leave a Comment

{ 4 comments… read them below or add one }

Kristen November 10, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Ha! Julie was HILARIOUS in that video! Thanks for sharing!

~ Kristen


Rhea November 10, 2010 at 8:06 pm

What an awesome recap!

I still forgot to call you. I suck. LOL


Bobbie November 11, 2010 at 12:44 pm

This looks like it was ALOT of work but alot of fun. Great job on it!!


Beeb Ashcroft November 13, 2010 at 12:44 am

Wow, good for you! What a great cause and look at how much work you did and what you achieved. I’m feeling teary-eyed just reading about that opening flag ceremony, so I can imagine that there wasn’t a dry eye there!


Previous post:

Next post: